Discrimination against women is "...any distinction, exclusion or restriction made on the basis of sex [gender] which has the effect or purpose of impairing or nullifying the recognition, enjoyment or exercise by women, irrespective of their marital status, on a basis of equality of men and women, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, civil or any other field."
~The U.N. General Assembly
- Cape Cod Commission on the Status of Women www.mass.gov/service-details/cape-and-islands-commission-on-the-status-of-women
- WE CAN Cape Cod Empowering Women www.wecancenter.org/
- National Women's Law Center nwlc.org/
- National Women's History Museum www.womenshistory.org/
- The Equal Rights Amendment: What You Need to Know; American Progress, Jan 2020 www.americanprogress.org/article/equal-rights-amendment-need-know/
- Gender Equality and Discrimination www.pewresearch.org/topic/gender-lgbtq/gender-equality-discrimination/
- Patriarchal Society Defined According to Feminism www.thoughtco.com/patriarchal-society-feminism-definition-3528978
- What Is Intersectional Feminism? A Definitive Guide disorient.co/intersectional-feminism/
- Understanding Patriarchy, bell hooks imaginenoborders.org/pdf/zines/UnderstandingPatriarchy.pdf
- Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Anti-discrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics, Dr. Kimberlé Crenshaw chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1052&context=uclf
- The Waves of Feminism and Why People Keep Fighting Over Them, Explained, VOX www.vox.com/2018/3/20/16955588/feminism-waves-explained-first-second-third-fourth
- How Alice Walker Created Womanism, Blavity blavity.com/blavity-original/how-alice-walker-created-womanism-the-movement-that-meets-black-women-where-feminism-misses-the-mark?category1=books
- Women's Rights, Amnesty International www.amnesty.org/en/what-we-do/discrimination/womens-rights/
- Sex-Based Discrimination www.eeoc.gov/sex-based-discrimination
- Gender Discrimination in the United States: Experiences of Women, Nat'l Institutes of Health www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6864374/
When men embrace feminist thinking and practice, which emphasizes the value of mutual growth and self-actualization in all relationships, their emotional well-being will be enhanced."
Feminism means inclusivity for women of color, disabled women, trans and queer women, survivors of sexual assault, plus-size women, neurodivergent women, oppressed and marginalized women, and so on...Without awareness and inclusion of intersectionality within the definition and understanding of feminism, we will be leaving out the most marginalized of people groups, thus derailing the entire point and prerogative of the feminist movement."